May 12th 2010

12 May

Makoa is still in the hospital and at this point, there really isn’t a set timeline for when he might get to come home.  Tiffany has been by his side the entire time (except for a quick trip home for clothes and a shower) and was feeding me updates throughout the day at work.  It seems to be a “no news is good news” type of situation.  All of the tests that have come back thus far have been negative, and if the few outstanding tests that remain were to come back positive, it wouldn’t change how they are treating Makoa.  At this point, the doctors say he needs to “work through it himself” with a little help from them of course.

I headed off to the hospital after swinging by the house and grabbing Makoa’s shot.  Of course, when I arrived, he was extremely happy to see his Daddy as always.

As you can see, he’s still a sweet little man, even hooked up to all the tubes.  They are continuing to give him nebulizer treatments and suction him out every three to four hours.  They have provided us with both machines to take home with us and even taught Tiffany how to deep-suction Makoa entering through his nose.  I know she always wanted to be a nurse and it looks like she may get her chance.  She also been administering his growth-hormone while at the hospital, and of course feeding him as well.

I have been noticing a pattern that his wheezing increases after he feeds.  If he is anything like his Daddy or sister, there could be a chance that he has a milk allergy.  We brought it up to the doctor tonight about the family history, and she thought it might be a good idea to at least “try” taking him off milk-based formula and putting him on Alimentum, which is exactly what Kaialani was on when she was a baby.  Apparently, there is also a blood-test available that will let us know whether or not he has a milk or soy allergy.  It takes a couple weeks, but we can at least draw the blood while he’s in the hospital and get it cooking.

We will see what happens, but for now we just wait.  The good news is Makoa is stable, happy, and eating.  The bad news is that we have no idea when he will be heading home.  Please keep us in your prayers.

2 Responses to “May 12th 2010”

  1. Lala and Umpah 13. May, 2010 at 11:54 am #

    Our sweet boy! Bless his little heart!

  2. The Kalama Ohana 13. May, 2010 at 3:42 pm #

    Excited for Jess to see you all tonight…of course you are in our prayers as always…Tiff might get an honorary Nursing Badge after all of this training! Bless you all!

Leave a Reply

Spam Protection by WP-SpamFree